Friday, January 24, 2014

Growth Chart Ruler

Of coarse I saw this somewhere else and decided to try to make it myself. I've seen these for sale online for around $100. My project cost about $40 which could be cheaper for anyone that already had the supplies on hand.
 Supplies needed:
1-7ft long board ($20)
1- wood burning tool ($15) 
1-small can of stain ($5)
Other supplies needed that I had:
Polyurethane 
Ruler for a reference 
Measuring tape
Pencil
Tape

The first thing I did was print off the numbers 1-7 in the font that resembled what was on my ruler and large enough to look size appropriate on the 7ft board. Set those aside. 
Next I used the measuring tape and pencil to mark 1 inch increments along the board. I wanted my board to look like a large ruler so I made the lines longer and shorter just as my ruler looked
After all of the lines were marked I cut out the numbers I previously printed and taped them to the board where I wanted them to be. I then used the pencil to trace the numbers to make an indention into the board. Once the indentions were made the taped on numbers were removed and then I traced the indentions with the pencil. 
Then the burning process began. Other more expensive boards I've seen online only used a permanent marker but I personally think burnt looks better.
This was my first attempt at ever burning anything and I must say that it is very easy. I did use a scrap piece of wood first before I got started just to see how it worked. This part was very time consuming!!! In the end I think it was worth it. 
Then I burnt in the numbers.
Now that it's all burnt, it's time for the stain. 
I stained the front and the back of the board since I was unsure how or where I would be putting this in the house. I ended up putting three coats of stain and one coat of polyurethane (had it from another project). 
Finally dried and in the house. Because we rent i don't want to permanently fix it anywhere. I think this is perfect for anyone who may have to move several times like we do due to being in the military.

No comments:

Post a Comment